The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday Check-In (August 2)


This week-end was fantastic.  We finally discovered the dining room table again…it’s been our catch-all for quite awhile.  E and I have both used it as a desk…and once we removed that, the rest of the clutter on it wasn’t too difficult to put away.  I tidied up the coffee table in the living room as well, another catch-all, and again with many of E’s books and projects on top of it.  Not that I don’t have a sweater waiting to be sewn together still sitting there, but it’s a start…
            I did pick up my knitting needles and finally start a project…well, actually it started out that I finally decided to work on the Belinda shawl I had cast on and not messed with for so long (especially since this was part of the clutter on the dining room table…I figured I might as well DO something with it)…however, after getting lost in the pattern on row 1 while trying to sit with the kids and not pay attention to anything other than my knitting…and I mean I got lost on a VERY simple pattern repeat about five times before I decided,  ok, let’s frog this…it’s mohair…frogging, not such a great idea…I decided I need to buy some feather weight or lace weight yarn, also silk, probably with wool, to use as a carrier yarn in order to get me used to knitting with mohair…since my colors are darker, I figure a dark grey or black yarn will not detract so much from the pattern…and I need something to encourage me to get through this pattern without ripping all my hair out…and then, since I bought enough mohair for two shawls, I can make the shawl to pattern afterwards, without a carrier, if I can get over myself…
            What I started, and finished, was the Mitered Hanging Towel.  The main body is worked in blue and white ombre…and the doubled part is whatever you call the variegated stuff I had out.  Pictures will be forth-coming. 
            We have a terrible issue in our house…we are all very good about grabbing the towel off the handle of the oven…but we are not always good about putting it back.  When I am cooking, I am notorious for grabbing the towel and setting it on the counter, because I know I’m going to be using it a lot.  This hanging towel seemed like such a good idea—and it really is.  Plus, I got to use one of my Grandfather’s antique buttons.  It wasn’t antique when he collected it; it’s just an antique now.  Funny thing is, my Grandfather’s button collection is probably my most treasured inheritance…that link that I can use to fuse my ancestry with/to my children—and one day, to their children.  I make things as often as I can for the kids and use Pappap’s buttons.  N has a snowman hat somewhere where all the buttons were from Pap’s collection…I can’t remember if I used the old buttons with the rocket ships on them or not for that project…I am planning to make about two more of the mitered towels for the kitchen, to start out…I may even stash dive for other colors…but…no promises there.
            I actually drew a picture this week-end.  I am just so proud of myself.  The idea came from similar prompts from two places…Magpie Girl and SoulFoodCafe.  I have a partial text written to go with it, but if was half poetry and half dribble, so I am planning to rewrite it…ahhh…thank goodness for rough drafts and for editing.  The drawing is currently only in pencil, but I am planning to add color.  Then I will have to print out my backstage pass and get a picture with it…so I can send it to Magpie Girl…I’ve put this particular project off for awhile, even though I kept coming back to it.  I should have that written out today, although I can’t be sure on the colorwork for the picture.
            The good news is I finally set up my printer/copier…part of the dining room table reclamation project…so at least I know I will be able to scan the pic and post it.  Yippee!
            Good time for a segue here…I had a dream…which is how so many of my tattoos get started…maybe drawing this picture started it, except I know I have long wanted to get a wind dragon tattoo that starts at one ankle and weaves and winds its way all over my body until it reaches the nape of my neck, without obliterating the spider or anyone else on the way…I have this one tattoo, which is the other place this dream started…the one we have been working with wrecking balm to remove (did I see that right?  Wrecking balm is now available at WALMART? Keee-riiisssttt!)…the problem is…wrecking balm is a slow process…and I have stopped doing it twice now…once after the break-in in November, and here recently because I grew tired of fighting to keep the sandpaper glued to the little round disk…I used a different form of manual exfoliator for awhile to keep the process going, and then grew overwhelmed by the move and what not, so I stopped for awhile again…I’ve been kicking around the idea of laser removal for months anyway…but…I had this dream where I got a tattoo over the one I am trying to get rid of (which itself is a cover-up job anyway)…I am not so sure I could have the dream tattoo done, since I am not so sure I could take the needle to the stomach or the inner thigh the way the dream flows…but the image was lovely.  Now see, that cover-up won’t happen…mostly because it requires the drive to my coveted tattoo artist Bryn in Weirton (Ben is awesome too)…which is prohibitive, but well worth the drive and the effort…under other circumstances, I’d do it. 
            Not to mention the deal with this particular tattoo is once it’s removed I can get R’s first name tattooed in its place, or at least in that general area.  If the tattoo I am trying to get rid of weren’t so big and black, I’d incorporate it into a different design…since I have an idea as to what I want to do w his first name.  His middle name is merely ornate letters…very pretty, yes…but I have some ideas for this next one…
            The irony there is that this whole thing started to cover up the ex’s initial…and he had some ideas at one time about putting a declaration that included his entire name across the entire region and down my thigh, so that everyone knew to whom I belonged…the irony of which is he was still banging a number of other people at the time and was actively working to get me out of the house—when all he ever really had to do was open his mouth and speak up…what he told me was one thing…what he told everyone else was a whole other universe that he had created for himself…
            R came back from camping yesterday.  Gosh, it was so good to see him, and to see him smile.  Some days I can’t figure out what is funnier:  N asking where R is all day and asking when he’s coming home or N attacking R to wrestle and play and then screaming like a banshee for me to come save him once R starts playing w him…when N knows the second I step in to ‘save’ him, N will turn around and jump R again because he just loves it. 
E is very upset.  We set the tent up in the backyard, to hose it off and to let it dry out before we packed it away before the next trip.  She wanted to sleep in it.  She was ok letting it dry out overnight, but since there is a sleeping bag in it this morning, she was certain that meant we were going to camp out in the backyard tonight.
 It is now officially official, come hell or high water, I am required to go on this annual float trip next year.  By next year, the house will be all unpacked and completely settled; all the myriad stresses we’ve been under lately will have fallen by the wayside, and things should be good.  So unless there is some huge hindrance that forbids float trips and camping out, I’m going.
           
            So, plans for this week.  Hmm.  I did not get anything hung up on the walls at all this week-end, minus a painting that our neighbor across the street gave us.  Which, strangely enough, now that I have it hung, I am already planning to move it…if we pull the drum kit out a bit, we can manage to put bookcases along the one wall…especially the ones we plan on building (which are more like 6 inches deep, rather than 12) – saying that makes me realize we don’t have to move the picture if we don’t want to – we can build the bookcase to size to fit that space.  But, I want to move the bookcases so we have space to put the piano…the one we haven’t gotten yet.  My only gripe there is the fact that years ago, a piano stood in the same place we are planning to put this one…but at least we’ll be taking care of our piano and actually playing it.  R and E both are going to learn to play…with my dyslexia, reading music is a bit of a stretch for me…although if I fought it enough, I could manage, I am sure.  I learned to read some Hebrew when I was taking the class, so, I know, with enough determination, learning to read music can be done.
            There is still the closet issue, our master bedroom closet…that bothers me more every day. 
 I need to make room in the basement to move the trunk upstairs down there…I need to finish putting away the office supplies that came out of the file cabinets…because that stuff is currently piled up in the place where I am planning to put the other kitchen table…I am planning to create a nook there, where the table can sit and be used for my artwork, E’s schoolwork, my schoolwork, whatever we need it for…and we are planning to build bookshelves, so I thought if we surrounded the table, enclosed it with the bookcases, while making sure we can still move things around when we need or want to, that would work great.
Again, still need to list all that stuff on craigslist.  I didn’t want people I don’t know here over the week-end, especially since I can’t get to some of the stuff we are selling…much less do I feel the need to allow complete strangers who don’t care what they break come tromping in to the basement to remove the stuff…
Back on the list:  repaint that blue dresser…which is becoming a priority since I have things I need to put away …and that dresser is really it, at least until we start building other things…
I need to sit down w R later, when he has the time.  I have been thinking that maybe an online school, or maybe a boxed curriculum, may be better for E.  I think if she is accountable to someone other than me, when she sees she has real deadlines and they cannot be bargained with the way she tries to bargain w me, maybe then she will start accepting some responsibility and working harder and working more.
Yesterday was actually the first day we had had big issues with food…or with schoolwork.  R and I believe it is her usual ‘my little brother is here and I will show my butt to get more attention’ diversion…we’re used to that, but when it comes to her eating, we can’t allow it to go too far.  She is back to her usual weight, but she was always too thin anyway…if nothing else, we are getting her to eat better…today, she is just all about stalling…which could be worse…but at least she is eating…
Speaking of which, Wendy may have been the first person to mention the eat-clean diet in my realm, but I didn’t look into it until at least two other people, in unrelated groups, mentioned it working for them.  I borrowed a couple books from the library to check things out.  Actually, we do work rather hard at not eating processed foods in our house…I was hoping we could find some interesting things for E…and I found a great deal more than that.  I didn’t realize that by combining proteins and carbs, it could actually improve your physical body.  I did find some stellar recipes too…a pea soup w basil, and a peanut butter spaghetti…I think I may have to buy at least one of the books now.  I know I should eat the six small meals a day; I’ve known that for, what, twenty-five or more years now.  I do like that there is a schedule that says eat now…and I am going to post it for E—because if I can say this expert says this, she’ll listen.  If I say, your mama says this, she’ll look at me like I’m nuts and start making excuses.
Ok, I have stuff to get busy doing.  T should be here soon to pick up N, the little stink monkey.  The only other thing on my list of things to do is to vacuum the house…so…I’ll keep ya’ll posted.
Have fun this week.