The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Monday, October 5, 2009

Current Projects In The Works

First of all, I am nearly done with the fried egg ear muffs.  I cannot for the life of me get the second egg to be even close to the same size as the first.  I am using the same pattern, same yarn, same hook.  I even tried a bigger hook and it turned out way too small...I don't know what the heck I did there.

Last time I made fried eggs, I made four, from this same pattern, and they all turned out about the same size and dimensions.  Go figure.

So, when R, N and I went to hobby lobby (before we picked E up from her cousins' house), along with the chibi needles, I picked up worsted weight yarn, instead of the fingering weight yarn the pattern called for--we'll see if that changes anything...I will make the whites up tomorrow.  The yolks are still fine.

I am nearly done with the first of several dolls I am making.  The body is all done.  I am working on the arms before I stuff and sew the doll.  Then I will have to come up w something for clothing...which should be interesting.  I should have worked on the doll today, but we took the kids out and had a lot of fun.

No.  I did not yet cast on that first pair of socks.  I was trying too hard with the magic loop method and two socks at once.  I -- fubar-ed everything.  So, I am going to take it slow, one step at a time, and try one sock at a time, until I actually get the hang of things.  Then I can do the two socks at a time stuff.  I still plan to use the magic loop method.  I still plan to work from the toe up.  And I do plan on getting this done in the coming week.

We are heading to WV this weekend.  To pick up my dad's bike.  It's going to be R's motorcycle, until he buys himself another.  He just sold his old one.  He needs a newer one.  Dad's old bike will be my bike, after I get my bike license.  R has already started talking about a sidecar for the small people to ride along in.
I am actually pretty excited about this.  Getting my license, learning to ride a bike, finally.  I have loved motorcycles all my life.  I've dated guys just because they have a bike--I have looked down on guys who think a vespa counts as a motorcycle on the coolness scale....

I am thinking that on the trip I will be knitting quite a bit--although R has sworn he is making me drive, one way or another.  This is when I will get some real sock workout time in...hopefully....not to mention, sock yarn is small, compact, and won't take up a lot of room.
We're taking a truck, like a pick-up, not a rental/moving truck, up there, so it will be us three in the front seat.  My normal routine of keeping R awake during long trips will not be applicable on this trip.  So, I have to find something else to keep my hands occupied while driving...although I am going to need to take the essence shawl too--because I can work on that one in the dark...hmmm..challenges and ideas...challenges and ideas.

I am looking forward to taking to R to ikea to look at furniture for our new house.  Both of us want better furniture.  Moving gives us both the excuse to toss a lot of stuff out.  E wants to go to the Thirteen Moons to introduce R to the guy who turned a soap bubble into a solid bubble for her (magic trick...pretty neat one too).  Near ikea is my favourite half-price book store -- although R may kill me for more books--but I have a list in my head of the topics I am after and that store always has such cool stuff....books are the main reason I can't just move into his house--nowhere to put them....in my defense...both my kids are just as bad as I am in the books department... and at least R reads--after the past guys in my life...a man who can actually read a book ... it's a very important thing to me...

anyway...

there's my update....

I have chapter one of WTBTN (writingthebreakthroughnovel yahoo group)  to work on tomorrow.
Among other things...

good night...