The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Monday, October 5, 2009

Dipping My Toe In The Halloween Waters

I don't know how often I am going to be doing this, this little Halloween update.  I will do my best.  I knew it wasn't going to be an every day posting.

Let's see.
We are five days into the month.  October.  Halloween.
My favorite holiday.

I shall throw my caveat out.

R's ex kept all his Halloween decorations.  I want to laugh at the childishness of this little girl.  Thirty plus years old and still acting like a spoiled brat.  He knows she won't return them; he knows they are gone; he knows she is too small and too petty to be an adult and say I found your stuff, here, take it.  Oh, no, not her.  She's too busy being petty and mean and blaming everything on everyone else.
She is making things really easy for me.
I don't have to ever worry about him looking at any of those Halloween decorations throughout our life together and having him think, wow, I once had this up at so and so's house, I wonder how she is, where she is, yada yada.

Nope.  Now he and I get to go out, replace all the things she stole (and keeping them is stealing, since the agreement was to return everything amicably--which she has proven she is unable to do) and have all those memories of building our lives together from scratch.  I get to usurp all those old memories, which, truth be told, are all pretty sad in the re-telling anyway, and replace them with the bounty of happiness and camaraderie.

I can deal with that.  The ex's current taught me the value of these lessons.  Sometimes I take such a vicious pleasure in being proven right about things.  This is just one of those places where I get to gloat about things.

Now--what did we do in the past five days towards our own little Hallowed Eve partying?

We've been through the Halloween section of every single store we have entered, be it discount store, garden center, grocery store, mall.  We have journeyed through Halloween specific stores.
I have drooled over this killer pair of boots--which is the same price at the Halloween store as it is at Romantix...and neither looks much different quality-wise either....but I already sport a pair of gorgeous thigh high boots that R bought for me...so, I am trying to contain myself....

I have been told I am not allowed to wear my Alice costume out in public without R there w me, unless I wear sweatpants or something underneath it.  I honestly had no clue it was that short.  Til he took some pictures and showed me.  Lucky me, I have leggings to wear under it all picked out now.




On October 1, I did nothing at all, all day.  I was at R's house, working.  BUT--I spent the entire day utterly engulfed in "The Child Thief" written by Brom, and illustrated by Brom as well.  THIS is the side of Peter Pan I have been trying to warn people (mostly people who have never read the original Peter Pan) about--oh no--most people have the Disney version in their heads--where Peter is a dear sweet boy--and Tinkerbell is a little darling.  She's a horridly cruel spiteful little b**ch in 'real life'--and Peter is cold, callous, and concerned only w Peter.  That's just the original book.  Brom quoted certain passages in the original Peter Pan that made him stop and do a double take, the things that caused him to write this book in the first place--the same passages that always made me stop and ponder the --WTF of things there.  In 'The Child Thief', Brom pulls in the Lady of the Lake Mysteries as well--it all fits so beautifully--and any time we can show the true vulgarity of Man corrupting religion in Man's name to suit Man's purposes is always a wonderful thing for me...we span from the current time and place...to the place where Time stops and spins like a lolling top...to a land of Great Magic and dreams....I shall not give naught away here...it is an incredible book...which I highly recommend....highly highly highly...

October 2, I spent the day chasing a squirrelly little kid who didn't have school who was dropped off w me at R's house earlier than usual.  I should have checked my email the night before, but I was otherwise occupied. I might have gotten N first thing in the morning Friday, if not late night on Thursday.  That's ok; we needed that time together on Thursday, R and I did.  (yes, I have pirate speak in the brain now, after talking about 'the Child Thief')

We had to come back to my house that night late--otherwise we would have spent another night at R's...and it would have been easier to pick E up from her cousins' the next day.  N would have none of it.  He still needs to sleep at my house.  We're working on getting him more used to R's house.  I am not really forcing that issue right now, since we are going to move so soon anyway.  It will be a whole other process of N getting used to things.  No need to push him all at once.

My dad sent us these really cool cloth shopping bags from Krogers (we think) where he lives (since there are none around here--which sucks 'cause I genuinely miss krogers) --  they have Halloween scenes on them and they say, "It's not scary to recycle"--I am thinking we need to get more of these...I have no compunctions about using Halloween bags all year--just as I have no compunctions wearing halloween clothes all year. Oh yes, I am that woman.

I have been working rather hard to make things w pumpkin--soups, breads, rolls, you name it.  The kids LOVE that.  N is wild for the pumpkin rolls, so I had some waiting for him this weekend.

Which reminds me.  Every store we've gone into, that has had something we like at least, we have gotten Halloween shirts, Halloween socks,  Halloween undies...throw on my black granny 'witch' boots and I am good to go.  We have also been buying up lots and lots of scary and Halloweeny movies....which we LOVE LOVE LOVE (the family fave here is still "Hocus Pocus")

October 3--my pc went bye-bye for awhile.  We are still cleaning up the aftermath.  But we survived.  That was the closest I have ever come to wanting to fire up the little mac mini and setting things up on her and her messed up little system (this mac has been --tampered with -- ever since I got it--she has issues that are not necessarily mac issues....).  You want REALLY scary--my pc crashing is scary--I have 3 months of writing that I need to archive to the external and haven't gotten around to it yet....not that it isn't in other places as well...but still....





October 4--
We are trying to watch one scary movie every single night--and I am wondering if CSI (all of them) and Criminal Minds and NCIS and Mentalist can be counted towards that goal....but we do try to watch at least one movie as a family every single night....if I have to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks meet the Wolfman again, I may puke, or break out in fur myself...though this is one of N's favorite cartoons at the moment...but then again, we do have volume one of the ghostbusters cartoon and we watched that all weekend long...at least there are five disks...

October 5--
R and E and I watched 'Sweeney Todd' (the Johnny Depp version)...and then we started to watched "Young Frankenstein"--what, we can't have humor with our horror?  Have you never watched some of the Child's Play movies?  'Bride of Chucky' comes to mind quite clearly--with all those jokes in that movie--it was hysterical!

R also brought us gourds that he had been given by some friends.  I am not sure where E took off w hers, but I have the crowning gourd on my altar for the time being.  We want to grow these types of gourds next year...among other things...
I want to get one of those 'regular' little gourds that E swiped--I want to try making a doll out of one of them....

Today, I also went into the attic and pulled down the Halloween decorations.  I was waiting for my little Goth chicklet to notice so we could decorate...but she didn't even notice the boxes piled up right in front of her, with the pumpkins peeking through the clear plastic and the skeletons arms hanging out over the top of one box....when did I say she was really observant?  She has to move the boxes in order to get to her cups and everything...the twerp...

Tomorrow--we dye the girl's hair blood red...well, ok, fine, not that red.  Just a plain jane auburn.  She is determined to remain a redhead--I hate to tell her--she is not that far from being a true redhead...she's a cherry blonde naturally.  She wants her hair to look really good for the trip to WV this week-end.  We bought the dye last night...she washed her hair this afternoon (twice no less)--tomorrow we color....

That's my update for this week...I'll try not to be so boring next time....

Until then, check out some other Halloween Blog Party participants with the Domestic Witch here....