The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Dodo Headband






Please note: the yarn is weird and it's Japanese. I won it in a raffle 2 years ago. The label was mostly hand-written. It's alpaca and something, I guess. I have no clue how many yards of yarn there are--I started a slouch hat with it and had to frog it due to lack of yarn. I went to the website, but it was so overwhelming--I gave up and still am not sure exactly what I have.

I call this yarn about a heavy worsted, because it's fluffy. It may actually be considered just a regular worsted weight or a bulky. We're working up a headband, so it's not a real threat if you use different yarn or anything.

Gauge is fairly unimportant as this is a head-band.

Yarn used in this sample: 'Dodo' (see pictures up close for details--that really is all the label said)

Needles used: US 11

Abbreviations used in this pattern:
K=knit
YO=yarn over
SL1= slip one stitch (I do this one knit-wise)
K2tog=knit two stitches together
PSSO=pass slipped stitch over

The stitch pattern is my favourite lace pattern and I found it in: Mindful Knitting by Tara Jon Manning (whom I adore actually)

The lace pattern is this:
Row 1: Purl across
Row 2: K1, { YO, K1, (SL1, K2tog, PSSO), K1, YO, K1}
Row 3: Purl across
Row 4: K1, { YO, K1, (SL1, K2tog, PSSO), K1, YO, K1}

Begin by casting on 13 stitches, loosely. Use your favourite cast on.
Knit 5 rows in garter stitch.
Begin lace pattern.
Work lace pattern for 20 inches. This is for an adult. If you are making this for someone smaller, say your child, measure their head around where the headband would lay--and subtract an inch--work until that measurement. Example: my head measurement is 21 inches--so I knit for 20 inches. This headband is also not a tight fit at all--if you want a tighter fit, subtract 2 inches. If you are using a slippery sort of yarn, I strongly urge you to subtract at least 2 inches.
End pattern on row 1 or row 3.
Work 5 rows of garter stitch.
Bind off very loosely.
Use a mattress stitch, or whatever else catches your fancy, to sew the cast on row to the bind off row.
Viola. Headband done.