The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Look, It's Not Just Me

If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you probably know one of the things I strive to do more than anything else is to be true to myself, once I figure out who I am and who I am trying to be or to become or …however would be the best way to put it.

I stumbled upon this very powerful piece while surfing tonight. Yes, It does seem to be the night for me to do some major surfing….but….I am finding such amazing and juicy things to get me going and keep me thinking…how can I stop when things are moving so well?

I love the Dr Seuss quote that Melissa posted. Today is an excellent day to quote Dr Seuss, as today is the anniversary of his birth.

“Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive, youer than you.”

How very telling that for the past few days I have spent many conversations, mostly via email, with several different friends, friends who don’t know one another, friends who have never met, friends to whom I am the sole connection, and we have all been discussing this fact, that we are who we are and we are both proud and happy of that.

We have been discussing how we came to be the way we are. Was it abuse as children? Abuse as adults? A life threatening incident, much like my own car accident over a year ago? Was there nothing major other than having to live someone else’s life, someone else’s way, for way too long?

So many of us are on the road to recovery, in one way or another. How do you do what you do? How do you decide to act the way you do, or to dress the way you do? How do you decide where to set your boundaries? Do you have your own way of doing things, of saying things, of looking at things?

It cannot be because we are all artists, my friends and me, of one sort or another. Even though we are. The writer. The painter. The glass mermaid maker. So many of us, with our dreams no longer hidden in our pockets, but keenly and proudly beaming openly from our sleeves. I know plenty of people in similar straits, who swear they have no artist ability whatsoever, and yet, we all walk the same road, the road of self-definition. Some of us are just more lively and more loud about things than others.