The Knitting Journeyman

Gathering Up One Thread At A Time As I Weave This Web Of Mine.....

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Check This Out

I was reading Leah's blog and marveling at the synchronicity that continues to show up in my life day after day....when I came upon Warrior Girl and her mini-revolution here....

The first thing I did was go to amazon to check out 'People of the Whale' by Linda Hogan. It may be fiction, but there is alot of folk lore, supposedly about the whale and octopus....so it's now officially on my 'gotta-have-it' list....

Then I of course had to post a comment...and yes, I did find my copy of 'Animal Speak' by Ted Andrews....and I am utterly blown away by the things I am reading....I checked out my Totem animals...and my Power animals...at least the ones that were in the book. Nothing on my beloved octopus in this book...according to the index. :-) But the STUNNING wealth of information ... staggers me.

And scares me--I keep dreaming about white elephants, a pair of them. Yippee.... scary scary....

I do not always read every comment ahead of mine when I post a comment on someone's blog...but one comment in particular caught my eye.

Rowena is planning to paint 100 complete pictures in 100 days...and has invited everyone else to do 100 whatever in 100 days as well...it doesn't have to be painting....otherwise, I don't think I would have sat and read and thought how close to something that has been boiling through my brain lately that really is.
I paint--but mostly journal pages. Not 'real' paintings or anything like that. I am however determined to keep drawing. And after reading about elephants and spiders in 'Animal Speak' not too long ago, I know I have to at this point.
Ever since i read 'Everyday Sacred' by Sue Bender I have wanted to make a bowl--by whatever means--knitting, pinch pot, pottery class, ceramics class, whatever...and then draw that same bowl, over and over, if not 100 days, then every day for an entire year...until the very essence of that bowl is more than clear to me.
Since i don't yet trust myself as an artist, I haven't pursued it, at all. Although with this challenge, I am thinking it would be a good time to do so.

See, pledging to be creative every day is one thing...I can cook and be creative....I can play with my kids and be creative...I can watch the clouds flying by and make up stories in my head about what I see and still be creative...but pledging to actually physically create--and finish one project, every single day, for 100 days...???
Walk me back into being afraid of failing... and at the same time being afraid of succeeding...
but I feel I have to do something...
A poem a day for 100 days...a story a day for 100 days...
a story a day I feel is cheating ... since I am supposed to write 1000 words a day every day and I am trying to post to the Pythian Games at least three times per week....which means writing based off of a prompt at least three times per week, which is no problem, but still....
It's the commitment thing...and it should be fairly clear now that I am afraid of commitment anyway... :-)
100 days...to complete 1 project per day for 100 days....

I can do this. I know I can. I can make the time. I know I can. So, why am I listening to the squirrelly little monkeys shrieking and bellowing and tearing up the ground in my mind?
Because that is what I am used to doing...
So I am going to push myself outside my comfort zone....
I am going to commit to drawing 100 pictures in 100 days ... I am not promising colour until my dickblick order arrives, but I will have 100 drawings drawn ... I am so pledging to do this now...

YIKES!!
I am though..fear or no fear.....